So OVER.

February 21, 2012

Here’s something to keep you busy while you’re at work.

I never wrote my reviews for my 5 favorite albums from 2011.  I actually started on a few.  But much like every other aspect of my life, they are incomplete and not worth reading.  So here’s aTOP 20 LIST from my homies over at Idle Time.  I figured I could still post what I had written, but 2011 is SO OVER, so I figured I’d spare you.

If you have a top 5 albums list for 2011, feel free to post it in the comments section, homie.

14 Responses to “So OVER.”

1. 1. Mastodon “The Hunter”
    2. Trap Them “Darker Handcraft”
    3. Graveyard “Hisingen Blues”
    4. All Pigs Must Die “Self Titled” and “God is War”
    5. Cynic “Carbon-Based Anatomy”

that’s technically six albums, but APMD released two on me this year. Kind of a mix of all things heavy and covering a pretty broad range of sounds. Trap Them and All Pigs Must Die sound similiar but the rest are extremely different.

2010 and 2011 were SOLID years for all things metal and rock (and their bagillion sub genres)

I got REALLY into APMD EP. Never got a chance to listen to the full-length. I also DLed a few tracks by trap them. I intended to get the album but my computer died so there’s no point. I did see it on vinyl for like 13 bucks, but I’m not sure it’s something I’d come back to on that format. Really dig graveyard as you know. I never gave the new mastadon record a chance. It got a couple of poor reviews and then my computer died so I just left it at that.

• So many solid tracks on the Mastodon album. I am also super happy they didnt do a theme album again. Like three in a row which were excellent. But I wanted something a little bit more song to song and not 8-12 tracks that go together. So you get a fucking terrific mix. Like Spectrelight to The Creature Lives to Dry Bone Valley (first wah solo EVER in a mastodon song). they cover a ton of sounds and forge some new ones. But for me the track that does it for me is spectrelight. I like Mastodon because they can do other stuff. But when they make this churning rumbling angry guy with a beard shouting metal (like “march of the fire ants” “mother puncher” “where strides the behemoth” “iron tusk” “circle of cysquatch” and “crack the skye”)

like THOSE are what they do amazingly well and they get me JACKED. UP.

blah blah I liked the new record honestly better than crack the skye

2. Terri with a heart over the "i" said

In no particular order, from memory (definitely can be forgetting something)

Radiohead – The King of Limbs
    Mastodon – The Hunter
    Fucked Up – David Comes to Life
    Bon Iver – Bon Iver
    Wye Oak – Civilian

LOOOOOVED Bon Iver’s self titled. To be honest, I was kind of worried when it came out. He started hanging out with Kanye and even released a hipster workout video. I was worried that I lost the lonesome, bearded guy in a cabin. I did. But this is the shit.

3. Mine are also in no particular order:

Cage The Elephant – Thank You, Happy Birthday
    Wallpaper. – #STUPIDFACEDD
    Cold War Kids – Mine is Yours
    AWOLNATION – Megalithic Symphony
    Foster the People – Torches

4. Daniel said

animals as leaders- weightless
    bright eyes- the people’s key

Did not listen to a ton of mind blowing new stuff this year but these two albums have a place in my heart.

Was completely unaware of a New Bright Eyes release. That guy has a HUGE discography. Hasn’t he made like 15 fucking albums by now?

• Daniel said

I have 27 on my computer, but that includes eps and some demos, not to mention he also has solo projects. Highly reccomend the song “white shoes” and “milk thistle”

• Terri with a heart over the "i" said

I’m a huge fan of Digital Ash and I’m Wide Awake, but I’ve been underwhelmed by Casadega and whatever side project(s) he was in. Will have to give this new album a trial run.

Me too! I really liked both of those albums. I may need to give this new one a few listens.

5. Terri with a heart over the "i" said

Full stream available via youtube