Caffeine and Kilos.

September 17, 2013

I competed at the Caffeine and Kilos Invitational this weekend.  It was a classy, top notch event put together by three of my friends and their families.  I’d say at least a thousand people showed up and a couple hundred stayed to watch the weightlifting meet with a fully functional live stream for online viewers.  Some of the best lifters in the country showed up to compete for cash prizes.  Yup, actual cash prizes.  Winning first place meant you were two grand richer, which was unheard of just a few years ago in the American weightlifting scene.  This raises a few questions for me personally.  I’m a nice guy and I don’t pretend to know anything about my sport that I haven’t experienced myself, but if three dudes can successfully throw together a HUGE event that gives our sport the attention it deserves, then why was National Championships thrown together in a rollerblading rink with like 50 spectators watching.

Don’t get mad.  I’m just sayin.’

I basically had the meet of my life.  I went 6 for 6, snatched 142 and clean and jerked 177 which was a meet PR.  This crushed my previous best meet total which is now 319.  Personally, I really needed this meet.  I’ve been doing this for like 8 years, so it’s easy to forget why I still participate instead of just coach.  Weightlifting is all fun and games when the gains keep on coming but people don’t understand that’s not reality.  Weightlifting is a skill set and an adaptation that takes place over a period of years.  If you feel like quitting just because you go a few months without measurable progress, then you don’t respect the sport and are not mentally prepared enough to participate.

Hey, I’m just sayin.’

17 Responses to “Caffeine and Kilos.”

1. Wilmar said

straight up inspirational. keep doing what you’re doing, sir.

2. Mike said

I wish I could have attended. I’ve heard nothing but good things. Hopefully this is the first of many events like this. Congratulations on your 6/6/PR.

And really, a fucking skating rink? Really! Come on USAW get your shit together.

3. Curt said

Ben, truly bad ass homie! It’s been a true honor to train with you and the midtown barbell club. You have definitely created something special. I’ll be sure to stop by when I’m in town.

Curt, it’s been a pleasure to have you train with the team. Feel free to follow along with our programming on your own and consider me a resource for any questions you have. See you when you get back, buddy.

4. Joe Siler said

That was awesome man! You killed it!

5. Ted said

Awesome. Nice to have your love for you sport reaffirmed. Congrats! Also, that song went straight into my collection. Always with the good tunes…

6. linz said

Damn good video but I would have to say the music took me away.

7. lilnz said

Well, I sure identified with the devil on my back and lifting heavy weights. I just gotta figure out what keeps me satisfied!

Oh yeah. The satisfaction with weightlifting is always so fleeting. It gives you the highest highs but also the lowest lows. When I perform my best and hit something big it gives me such a confusing rush of emotions and then it’s gone.

8. lilnz said

I think you could say that about the best things in life. The things worth fighting for…